The Africa Biodiversity Collaborative Group (ABCG) is a coalition of seven international conservation NGOs with extensive field programming in sub-Saharan Africa: African Wildlife Foundation (AWF), Conservation International (CI), the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI), The Nature Conservancy (TNC), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), World Resources Institute (WRI), and World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Together with their African partners, these organizations tackle complex conservation challenges by catalyzing and strengthening collaboration on the continent.
Coming to the end of its current six-year implementation phase in September 2021, ABCG via its host organization, African Wildlife Foundation, seeks a Strategic Communications and Media Consultant to produce media stories and publish in national, regional, and international outlets.
The Strategic Communications and Media Consultant will develop a media strategy to engage and inform the media, NGOs, civil society, and other actors. The consultant will proactively engage ABCG members and implementing partners to create compelling media stories on ABCG biodiversity priority areas in order to raise the visibility, impact and promote ABCG’s activities cumulative of the past six years and advance ABCG’s conservation impact nationally, regionally, and globally.
In consultation with the ABCG Communications and Engagement Specialist, the consultant will:
- Review ABCG key publications, website news articles and other resources to understand more about the coalition
- Interview ABCG staff, implementation leads, and partners to get an in-depth understanding of project activities, outputs, and outcomes
- Design a media strategy that will support ABCG communications and program teams to promote their work in local, national, regional, and international outlets in order to increase ABCG’s awareness, visibility and credibility
- Draft and produce strategic high quality media stories for each of ABCG’s thematic areas, and stories that demonstrate ABCG’s collective impact
- Organize and facilitate interviews with the media
- Provide high quality photos and videos that will be archived in the AWF database.
The consultant will deliver the following:
- At least 10 high quality outreach and media stories published in national, regional, and international media outlets
- At least 5 media interviews for ABCG project leads
- Produce a creative and engaging social media toolkit on the program initiatives and media stories
- A media communications strategy that includes a database of media contacts for pitching ABCG stories
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing media engagement efforts
- Experience engaging local, regional, and international media
- Good research and information gathering skills
- Excellent writing skills with experience is developing exciting media pitches
- Experience in designing visually appealing communications materials
- Experience working on global projects and people from multi-cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in relevant conservation and development disciplines
Location: Consultant’s base
Duration: August – October 2021
Consultancy Fee: Based on agreed milestones and deliverables.
Interested qualifying consultants should send their proposals, Technical and Financial to AWF procurement team at email@example.com with a copy to ENamvua@awf.org on or before 5 pm Local time on August 31, 2021.