- AWF rolls out the Sustainable Economic Resources for Africa (SERA) initiative, an agenda of policy, legislative, and institutional recommendations based on the principles and lessons of the African Heartlands Program.
- The Livestock for Livelihoods Program is launched in partnership with USAID in two Heartlands—Kilimanjaro and Samburu.
- The Chiawa Cultural Village, an AWF-supported community enterprise that integrates historical attractions with conservation initiatives, opens on the banks of the Lower Zambezi in Zambia.
- The Leopard Conservation Science Project begins in Kruger, South Africa.
- AWF's Conservation Enterprise team opens three new eco-lodges that benefit local communities: Satao Elerai Camp in Kenya, Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge in Uganda, and Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge in Rwanda.
- The Easements for Education Program is launched in the Samburu Heartland.
- AWF introduces its first blogs, giving people around the world a chance to follow the stories of conservation directly from the field.